Thankful For Being Late

Slow down

I had somewhere to be today.

Something I had been looking forward to…

and then things happened.

Poopy diaper.

My daughter wanting to dance and play in the Living Room (she didn’t know or care that we were going to be late).

Spilled meal.

Sticky syrup.

And thank God– it was a morning where I held my tongue.

I stopped trying to rush.

To hurry.

HURRY!

The words that threatened to spill over and splatter and injure within my impatient and frustrated spirit were suddenly stilled.

I stilled my soul.

I sought God.

I prayed.

I remembered.

Being on time isn’t that important.

Being an example to my children about how to handle disappointment, how to handle stress, how to work, and live, and love- that’s important.

Finding joy in the midst of the unexpected, stopping to savor instead of tunneling my vision on the one opportunity potentially lost instead of the abundance of life being lived in this moment.

Even living for 20 minutes into the future is missing the blessings that God calls me to see in the here and now.  Will I sacrifice the joy of watching my daughter dance- will I squelch her God-given jubilation and uninhibited spirit in my moment of selfish ambition for a coming moment that might never be?

All we have is now.

Present.

Here.

God showed me for one shining moment the power in letting go of my hopes and expectations– and just enjoying the ride.

To embrace the silliness and be silly too; to let go of what might be to be fully present in what IS.

And today I am thankful- for being late reminded me of how much I have to be thankful for.

And that joy is stolen from us when we focus only on what might be, instead of what is right before us.

in His presence is fullness of joy, in his right hand treasures forevermore.” Psalm 16:11

Linked up with the following:

Thankful Thursday @ Women Taking a Stand

Our Simple Country LifeThriving Thursdays @ Serving Joyfully

Beautiful Thursdays

Beholding Glory

Holy Spirit-Led Homeschooling

Beauty in His Grip Button
Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

Photobucket

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Thankful For Being Late

1. Kathleen says:

This was such beautiful prose and such a wonderful message for all to hear … I can picture you little one dancing with JOY! Have a wonderful day :)

• Rachel says:

Thank you Kathleen. So humbled and grateful to God for continuing to open my eyes and change my heart. He is so good! :) God bless you.

2. bp says:

This is such a wonderful post, thank you for sharing your heart and this truth. It is a great reminder to me as well. I particularly like this line at the end….”joy is stolen from us when we focus only on what might be, instead of what is right before us.”

Have a great day
    Bethany

3. LaughingLady says:

Absolutely beautiful. The writing and the reason! I SO need to let God slow me down sometimes, too, instead of trying to live in the future and getting cranky when things don’t go MY way. Such a good lesson here. I’m so glad I stopped by!!

• Rachel says:

Glad you stopped by too! :) Yes, this is a lesson I need to remember daily- unfortunately I haven’t always stopped and just let my children laugh and be silly- praying for grace to live more in the now and to savor these moments!

4. Tia says:

Thank you.
    I have been struggling with a temper that thrives on upturned moments. Thank you for the reminder, because I do know I should hold my tongue and that I am setting an example. Thank you for reminding me of how fragile each moment is for my children.
    ~ Tia

• Rachel says:

Tia- This is a reminder that I need often. Praying for grace in the moment, and that we will listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and be slow to anger. Another verse that has been good for me to remember is Pr. 29:11- Fools vent their anger,
      but the wise quietly hold it back. Many times having a Scripture passage that I can bring to mind in those moments helps to get me through it w/o saying something I’ll regret. And I have felt like a fool when I have yelled at my children, and deeply regretted it. Only by God’s grace. Praying that you will receive what you need from the Lord to remain calm in those upturned moments. God bless you.

• Tia says:

Thank you, Rachel. I am including a link to this post on my blog. I have also started a book called “Unglued”, that, so far, looks like a great guide through changing bad temper habits.
        ~ Tia

• Tia says:

And I would love to add the post photo, or a photo of you. Please let me know, and I will add it.

• Rachel says:

I will e-mail both and you can use whatever photo you would like. Thank you for sharing it, I pray that it will bless and encourage other Moms out there. With God all things are possible.

• Rachel says:

I am also interested in picking up that book. Let me know what you think as you read it. :)

5. Anne says:

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your heart. It’s good to remember the need to slow down a little and that our primary purpose is the make disciples as we mother our children.

6. Gail says:

Sweet thoughts…and so true. thanks for sharing this reminder to savor the moments. Bless you, Gail (Bible Love Notes)

7. Beth says:

You are sharing an important lesson with all of us, Rachel. We need so desperately to see what is most important in the rush of our days–poopy diapers and all! :) Thanks for the grace you’ve given us here today!

8. Anne Kimball says:

Hi Rachel, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Gratituesday.

Sigh, such important words, so hard to follow sometimes. Thank you for this great reminder!

Anyway, it’s nice to “meet” you! Hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

9. Alecia says:

I want to stop hurrying and “enjoy the ride” more often, I’m habitually late, so it always seems as if I’m in hurry mode. Great reminder!!