Mexican Petunia

Ruellia tweediana

Mexican Petunia (Ruellia brittoniana)

I was so excited when I found this Mexican Petunia for $1.50 each at our Grower’s Outlet.  It has been on my short list of plants for the perennial bed- and now I have two of them newly planted (as of this morning) and I am so excited to watch them grow!

Mexican Petunia is also called Mexican Ruellia, and some of the varieties are Chi Chi (pink blooms), and Katie (purple blooms).  I have ‘Katie’ in my yard.

Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, and evening hawk moths.

Can easily propagate in water.

Not picky about soil, just likes it to be well-drained- prefers full sun but I have heard people say they do alright in part. sun too.  My two plants are in full sun (5-7 hours each day).

Will grow 3 feet wide by 3-4 feet tall– will sometimes grow taller in shade.  This is a plant which some consider “invasive.”  So, if you want to control how far it spreads, place it in a pot or use edging or a border of some kind to keep it contained.

Divide plants at any time but cut back tall plants if dividing in the summer.

Very hardy, drought tolerant and heat tolerant.  Flowers from late spring till frost.

mexican ruella

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Mexican Petunia

1. Brad Williams says:

My Mexican petunia will not bloom any more??? Plant is health. but no blooms for two years not???/

• Rachel says:

I have only had my Mexican petunia for about 4 months or so, not really sure if they have any problems with failing to bloom. Everything that I have read says that they are very drought tolerant and easy to please. Maybe they just need some fertilizer? I would check into that possibility, esp. since the rest of the plant is healthy but not blooming- maybe the soil is missing a certain element that encourages blooms. Hope that helps!

2. Lauren Perkins says:

My Mexican petunias won’t bloom either… :(

• Rachel says:

I am so sorry! That is disappointing. I have moved from the house where I had my Mexican petunias, so I am not sure whether they are blooming now, but I hope so! Let me know if you find out what they need to start blooming.

• Stephanie says:

Must be something in the air this year. Mine aren’t blooming either and they’re usually VERY active. It’s a huge bed, and it’s so sad to look over and see only a sea of green……

3. Katherine Aldridge says:

I was so excited when my neighbor gave me some Mexican Petunias last fall. I kept the plants in water all winter to grow their roots, and then planted them in my back yard in the spring. So far, the plants are thriving, but the blooms are few and far in between. Do I need to fertilize them, water them more or less or what? They are planted in full sun.

4. Jan says:

We live in Oklahoma and my ruellia made it through the winter and looks healthy but isn’t blooming although it bloomed profusely all last summer I to the fall. Is it just slow or do I need a new plant since it froze back in the winter?

5. Mike Drake says:

Mine have been bluming well in past. I sold a ton that I propagated 2 years ago, and have 28 pots going now,but, no blooms yet. Been giving them miracle grow and water every other day.

• Rachel says:

I am looking forward to growing these at our new home. They are such lovely plants. Thank you for the info Mike. Best wishes on your new plants.