Tradescantia – Red Hill

I just picked up this plant, called Tradescantia “Red Hill” at Lowe’s over the weekend.  I have not been able to find out much about the plant.  From what I have been able to find, it is a flowering plant- I will post another pic when and if it flowers.

It looks like it tolerates a variety of soils, does not like direct sunlight but bright light- I have it about 5 feet away from an eastern window.  Sounds like they like to be dried out between waterings and propagate easily from cuttings- I will try this once the plant gets a little larger.

The few things I have read recommend holding off on fertilizing until the plant has gotten over the shock of being moved to a new location.  I tend to do that anyway, I like to wait about 6 months before I fertilize any new house plants.

I really liked the look of this plant- the leaves are green and have a slight purple color underneath- very subtle- and the leaves have a fuzzy type of texture to them- and the growth habit is unusual as well- it might be more of a vining look as the plant gets larger.  I am looking forward to keeping an eye on it over the coming months.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tradescantia – Red Hill

1. Nikki says:

I just bought.the same plant today and its beautiful it has much more purple color to it and has kind of a glittery shine to it. Im so excited to care for this beautiful plant ill sendu picture when I figure out how

2. Grace says:

I just bought this plant today it is blooming but not in real good shape. Can’t seem to find out anything at all about it. Can anyone help. Tks

• Rachel says:

I hope that I can help Grace. Feel free to e-mail me as well to chat about your plant. Make sure you don’t have it in direct sunlight. Over-watering is the next mistake that we most often make with house plants. This plant seemed most happy when I neglected it a bit. It didn’t seem picky about soil, so that most likely is not your problem. If you want to post a pic so I can see the plant, or send me one via e-mail, that would be great. Hope this helps! :)

3. rajdeep kaur says:

I bought Tradescantia – Red Hill from Home depot 2 months ago. I was pretty nice and small plant when i bought. Its getting dry now. Please help.

• Rachel says:

I have learned that over-watering can kill these plants. I would make sure it gets morning sun, close to a window- and try not to water too often- let the soil dry out between waterings. Let me know how your plant does!

4. Kathy says:

I bought this plant at my Walmart with just a card stating the plants name. When I bought it, there were little purple flowers on it. They have sense died off, but I was wondering if I should cut off the dried up blooms or pull them off they look nasty just hanging there all dried up and dead.

• Rachel says:

It depends on what specific type of Trandescantia it is. It seems that most benefit from pruning after flowering, and it will encourage them to bloom again. Let me know what type you have, and I will see what else I can find out. :)

5. Maisha says:

Do you recommend repotting this plant into a bigger pot, or no? I just bought this plant today from Home Depot and I would really like to see it grow, any tips, on watering and things you have noticed?

• Rachel says:

I would leave it in the original pot or something close to that size initially. Once the plant shows some new growth, then move it to another pot if you want. Let me know how your plant does Maisha! :) God bless you.