These muffins have been a big hit with everyone in our family, and they are a healthy and low calorie breakfast. I usually make these muffins one week, apple pumpkin muffins the next week, and then apple cinnamon muffins and then start over again. I love having muffins around for those mornings when you have to get started early or you realize you forgot to eat breakfast moments from walking out the door and can quickly grab one and go.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp. all-spice (I found this recipe to be a little bland, so I made this slight alteration)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk vegetable oil, egg, milk, and applesauce together in a separate bowl until smooth, and stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until moistened. Lightly stir in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven until they rise and the tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
**For link to original recipe on allrecipes, click here.